Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Meow.


These cat ears used to belong to one of my best friends in high school. They were one of her "signature" accessories, which she wore to school on a fairly regular basis.

The summer that I was 16, my boyfriend cheated on me and then lied about it and it was all around not a very nice day when I found out. I called my friend to talk to her about it, and we decided that the best thing to do about it was to go out for ice cream. So I picked her up and drove us to Dairy Queen, but she said that before we went in she had something to give me. She reached into her bag and pulled out her cat ears and gave (approximately) the following speech:

"I've been involved in theatre for a really long time, and one thing I've learned is that being the centre of attention always cheers me up. The best way to do that is to wear something ridiculous and sparkly so that you know everyone's paying attention to you for a good reason. And because I want you to be able to have that feeling right now, I want you to have my cat ears."

That was almost six years ago and I still wear them sometimes if I'm feeling down, even though I've kind of fallen out of touch with my friend. They're really special to me because it was such a heart-felt gift, and I know that they were something she really loved and meant a lot to her before she gave them to me, so it was really special.

No comments:

Post a Comment