Friday, March 2, 2012

Where I stretch the definition of "role model"

It's been hard for me to think of role models, since they've changed so much over the years, and even just a year ago I probably would have had different answers.

I'm going to second Sarah and say that Felicia Day is one of my role models, though for different reasons (as seen in my comment on that post). I really like that she is unabashedly herself - even when that means geeky and occasionally awkward. She's willing to go out on a limb and try something new (she made a web series about the world of MMORPGs called The Guild, and if you're familiar with that niche, you really ought to check it out) and work hard on it even if there's no guarantee that it'll work out.

On a similar note, my role model for professional life has been a teacher/employer of mine from college. She was one of the few female professors in the physical sciences, and was very articulate, understanding, and thoughtful. She could always come up to a well-reasoned explanation no matter what question we came up with ("when you look into someone's eyes and see your reflection, why is it smaller?") and gently helped our class along to find answers ourselves instead of just handing them to us.

And yes, of course, John and Hank are my role models as well. I love how they're able to be goofy and silly some times, and philosophical and thoughtful at others without it seeming strange. I'm inspired by their passion to make the world a better place, even just a little bit at a time, and do what they love even if it's off the beaten path.

Finally, and this is probably a little weird, one of my role models is the internet. Not all of it, of course - 4chan doesn't particularly inspire greatness in me - but some of the aspects of the internet at large such as creativity, independence, and critical thinking. There's no single site or blog that covers all of these, and I draw inspiration from lots of different places, so I guess I'll just cite the internet as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment