Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What I've been doing and what I will be doing

Good evening Nerdsisters!

Today was the last day of my undergraduate degree.  It hasn't really sunk in yet, but at this point it feels weird more than anything else.  Actually at this point it mostly feels like any other semester where I'm just glad to have survived end of term madness and have a bit of a break.

I passed in my very last paper yesterday, and today I had to defend my honours thesis, which is probably the most stressful thing I've had to do in the entire four years, but I think it went okay.  A bunch of my friends and I went minigolfing to celebrate being done.  We are the coolest kids.  But it was super cool minigolf with black lights and everything is painted in glow-in-the-dark paint, so that has to count for something.

As much as I'm glad to be done for now, the next few days are going to be really hard in a completely different way.  It's time to say goodbye to people, some of them probably forever, and that's really tough.  One of my roommates moved out on Sunday, and I haven't been handling it very well.  We've known each other since we were six and been close friends since junior high, and now he's just... gone.  I know we'll see each other maybe once or twice a year because we'll both go home for Christmas and such for a while yet, but it's just so weird that I've seen him on a daily basis for most of the past 16 years, and now we're going to live in different provinces.  I think the very worst part, though, is that it's not like everyone leaves at the same time.  People trickle off one by one and every time I turn around someone else is leaving and breaking my heart all over again.

Well, that was a depressing paragraph.  On a more positive note, I'm moving back home for the summer, and I'm kind of excited.  I like Halifax, and I like being able to walk to everything and I like it in the summer when you can go to restaurants and sit on the patios and when you can just go out for ice cream or grab fish and chips from the chip truck on the way home from work and all those delightful summery city type things.  But I also really like being at home for the summer.  I like having a deck, and my dad built this amazing outdoor fire circle place last summer that I absolutely love, and I like driving on the highway with loud music, and more than anything else I like having easy access to beaches.  Also the lake that's insanely deep and has a raft and a rope swing and we always stay there way too late and stargaze from the raft.  Also camping.  So yeah.  Excited about going home.

I have the next week and a half off completely, and I'm going to spend it reading and catching up on TV and movies and finishing my screenplay for Script Frenzy and I've decided I'm going to take up running.  That should be, erm, interesting.  After that, I'm going to be working at a Service Canada Centre for Youth for the summer, which basically means that I'll be helping other people find summer jobs and make resumes and cover letters and all those fun things.  It's really different from any other job I've had before but I think it should be interesting and I'm excited to get started.  Also it's only a 14 week position, so I'll end up with almost a month off at the end of summer, and I'm really excited about that!

Anyway, I guess that's it for me... especially if I want to get this posted before midnight! :)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on finishing your degree and honors thesis! It's always really hard to get to the end of something, and while it feels great to have it completed it means you have to start saying goodbye. I'm just starting this process myself, and man, it sucks.

    ReplyDelete