Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Whoops

So, hey.

I could pretend this post is late because I just moved over the weekend and am still in the process of unpacking and getting settled, and didn't have time all day, but that's not true.  I was really pretty lazy about the whole unpacking thing and spent a lot of time standing in my room staring absently at my stuff.

Or I could pretend that the mid-afternoon break that I spent reading ridiculous theories about the recent Doctor Who developments was definitely a better use of time than writing a blog post.

Or I could pretend that it's because I had to go run a bunch of errands with my family in the evening... actually that one's true, but it was only a couple hours of the day.

Or because the new episode of Glee was on tonight and I mean, I obviously couldn't have written a blog post during the commercials.  That would just be way too much to ask.

No, no.  The real reason is because in the hour and a half that I had after Glee, my plan to quickly check my email and Facebook and such before writing a blog post somehow turned into getting sucked into TV tropes...

So, sorry.  I guess I'll await the decision of the punishment thread in the YP group.

I know there was discussion on Rachel's post on Friday about the theme for this week being "I never though I'd say this, but..."  However, since Sarah didn't do it yesterday and I still haven't come up with a good response to it, can we make this another free week and push that one ahead to next week?

As I mentioned, I've been busy moving and getting settled.  It's really weird to move back home after being away for three years.  Especially since we moved here only a few weeks before I left for university, so it doesn't even really feel like home.  The room that I always stay in when I'm here to visit was always essentially set up as a guest room that would work equally well for me or my brother or my grandparents or anyone that was staying here, but for the summer we're rearranging it so that it can actually be my own space.  We've moved a lot of the things that were stored in there so that it's not cluttered up with any of my brother's stuff any more, and we made space for a lot of my furniture from my apartment, and it really feels like home, which is something I've been lacking for a long time.

I never really felt at home living in university residences because, well they were residences.  No matter how long you lived there and how hard you tried to make it your own space, you were still sharing one shower between eight people and the toilet broke about once a month and those are just not things that make you feel at home in a place.  My apartment was a huge improvement, but it was very small and didn't have much storage space so I always felt cramped.  Plus I had roommate issues the first year I lived there and mouse issues the second year.

Long story short, right now is the first time in a long time that I've really felt as though I had a space of my own, and it's wonderful.  I want to make use of the comfortable, nurturing atmosphere I've created as a springboard for self-improvement this summer, meaning I want to do some serious writing, get into a healthy exercise routine, decrease the amount of time I spend on the computer, and finish the knitting project I've been working on for three years.  Those are my plans.

4 comments:

  1. Sheep eat sheets of paper and shiitake mushrooms.

    I totally missed that theme suggestion. I'm so sorry guys!

    Glad to hear that the moving has been a plus for you! I always attributed it with extreme stress and pain. I never liked the moving process.

    You have valid reasons for a late post which isn't all that late anyways, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't point out that you didn't do the theme as an accusation or anything, sorry if it came across that way! I was just clarifying that I wasn't being a total rebel to an already-established theme, since I wasn't the only one :P I do like Rachel's suggestion, I just couldn't pull it together for this week.

    In the past I've always hated moving too. Actually usually I like it for the first part of packing, when I get rid of things and organize things and find things I thought I'd lost or things I'd forgotten even existed. But that part is usually fairly short-lived before it just becomes a colossal annoyance. I'm happy with the end result of this move, though, so it balances out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't feel like I was being accused, just a bit embarrassed. That's a nice confirmation, though.

    I like finding the old things that I forget about, too. So much nostalgia, and sometimes archaeology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you have very valid reasons for not posting. Though you might still get a punishment ;P

    I like the cleaning/decluttering/finding stuff phase of moving, but not the part where I actually have to pack everything up, try to remember what stuff I put in what boxes, and unpack everything later. Once a year or so I try to do a "moving clean" where I get all the benefits of moving without actually, you know, having to move.

    ReplyDelete