Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Top Reads

So our topic for this week is books that we like.  I was trying to find a good compromise between just making a list and actually writing something, so I'm going to make a list and write explanations for the things that I feel like need it, but leave other things to speak for themselves.  Hopefully that makes sense.  So here's a list, in no particular order:

The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien.


Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling.


The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis.

Discworld series, Terry Pratchett.


The Princess Bride, William Goldman.  This is my absolute favourite movie, and the book is even better.

The Gypsy Sings, Debra E. Talbert.  This is one of my very favourite books.  It's very short, less than a hundred pages, and it has beautiful accompanying artwork.  It's divided into three sections: "Gypsies," which is a series of letters between a woman and her muse; "Pirates," which is a story about dreams; and "Magic" which is a series of (very) short stories about love.  It's a beautiful book and a I tend to re-read it when I want to feel inspired and re-connect with my creative side.

This Cake is for the Party, Sarah Selecky.  I mentioned this book in the post I did a while back with photos, but it's really good.  It's a book of short stories and I don't really know how to describe them but they're all just so so good.  Every single one of them.


Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Richard Bach.  This is a book about a seagull who spends all his time learning to fly better rather than scrabbling around on the shore like all the other seagulls.  It's a lovely story and I find it very motivational.

Anyway, those are a few of my favourite books.  There are lots of others, but these are some of the main ones.  I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of things the rest of you read! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment