Friday, June 3, 2011

Starting off the summer

So I'm going to be honest here, I'm pretty brain-dead at this point - I've spent all week in eight hour training sessions for my new job, and all my coherent skills are pretty worn out.

But! I would like to tell you about my new job :) I'm really excited about it - it's working with kids with autism to alter their behavior (teaching appropriate behaviors to replace inappropriate ones - i.e. hitting - and teaching life skills) with the overall goal of helping them become independent (as much as possible). In other words: helping people learn to function on their own and work and interact with others.

Probably sounds a bit dry, and there's certainly a whole lot of data taking and knowledge to learn, but I'm really excited to start work in the field. I don't know quite when that is yet (probably in a week or two), but I have four kids to work with, and a whole lot to learn. But I guess that keeps life interesting, so I don't already know everything.

Now, I realize that isn't particularly interesting for anyone else, so now I have a question for you guys:

What would you recommend for a summer reading list? I need to find some good books to read; I'm already working through Terry Pratchett's books, I've read all but Looking for Alaska of John's books, and I have Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series on my list, but I'm drawing up a blank otherwise.

What are you reading? What would you recommend?

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your new job! What age group kids are you working with?

    As for books, I'm currently trying to read a bunch of Neil Gaiman's books. I just started reading The Rose Labyrinth, I'm not far into it enough to tell if it's a good book or a bunch of purple prose. I just know there are thirty-four pages of riddles in the back and I want to solve them.

    ReplyDelete