Monday, October 17, 2011

Anywhere but Here

I don't know if my "happy place" is normal. I keep thinking that the answer people expect to hear or what people are most likely to say is a certain room in their house, like their bedroom, kitchen, library if they have that much space for books.

My happy place is anywhere away from home. I really feel at peace in hotels, to be honest. It's just something about feeling like I'm traveling and therefore in the world. So if I feel like I'm out there and doing something, even if I'm not really, I feel calm. Does that make sense? It probably has something to do with moving and living overseas as a kid. I need to be in different settings in order to feel like everything is right and good, so hotel rooms might be the obvious choice, it's like moving into a new house, minus the fact you leave a lot sooner.

That's where I can feel relaxed and safe and happy. In new and unfamiliar settings. The same sets of walls every day tend to get me anxious so I need variety. But I can't often just find a hotel room and sit in it, can I? One, they are expensive. Two, there aren't many I can go to where I live. Three, I get the feeling there's a negative connotation with hotel rooms and feel awkward to say that I like them. Four, I am not twenty-one (the legal age to rent hotel rooms here). So most of the time I just have to pretend I'm traveling somewhere else and use my imagination that I'm nowhere near my house. Books help.

1 comment:

  1. Hotels are such good places to be. They always seem so luxurious, and usually if you're at a hotel it means you're doing something exciting :)

    ReplyDelete