Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hocus Pocus

One of my favourite Halloween traditions is watching the movie Hocus Pocus.  This was a tradition that two of my friends and I started back in junior high, and carried out through high school.  We were having a sleepover at my place one year and it happened to be the weekend before Halloween, so my friend Sarah brought Hocus Pocus with her so that we could watch it.  She had seen it a bunch of times, but Lindsey and I had never seen it before, so she had already assigned who was which character.  (This was a thing that we did at the time.  Not just us, but our entire class.  We'd assign all the characters in movies and books and things to be people we knew, usually based on what was the most hilarious.  There were two people in our class who were especially prolific at this, there were a bunch of different movies and things that they did for everyone in the class.  When they did Harry Potter I was Moaning Myrtle, and in Finding Nemo I was the anglerfish.  This is a long aside.)

Since the main characters of Hocus Pocus are three witches, and there were three of us, Sarah had decided we were the witches.  She was Winnie, the bossy one; Lindsey was Mary, the kind but clumsy one; and I was Sarah, the ditzy one.  While we watched the movie we assigned all the other characters to be the rest of our friends.  It became a tradition, and we watched it around Halloween every year for three or four years in a row.

Hocus Pocus isn't the greatest quality movie, but it's pretty hilarious, and it always reminds me of my friends.  Even though it's been quite a while since the three of us watched it together, and we don't even keep in touch very much any more, I still watch it every year if I have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment