Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Safe in my room

When I was a kid, I grew up in a rural area, just down the road from a dairy farm.  Much of the land in the area belonged to the farm and was used for hayfields.  My house was surrounded by fields on all sides, and the fields furthest from the road were bordered by forest.  There was a tractor path leading through the forest, and beyond the first little stand it became a mixture of forest and fields.  From the age I was old enough to walk the path on my own, this was my happy place.  Whenever I just needed to get away from things, I would walk to the end of the path and back.  It was so familiar, and the fields and the forest were always so peaceful.  At the very end of the path and across the last of the hayfields, you came out at the ocean, and this was also a good place to be.  Along the way, off the path and into the woods, there was a stand of boulders, which is where I would take my journal to sit and write if that was what I needed to do.

A little over four years ago, we moved out of that house, and I've moved another six times after that, so I don't really have that kind of dedicated happy place any more.  Mostly now it's just my room, wherever that happens to be.  Even though the actual room, the furniture in it, the decorations, and everything else, have changed quite a bit, my room is always my sanctuary.  It has a door that can shut out the world, and a bed where I can either sleep my troubles away or curl up to lose myself in a book or a movie.

Other than that, just Halifax in general is kind of my happy place.  I used to hate the city, but now I just like to wander around and experience all the familiar sights and sounds and smells and watch all the interesting people.  I also have a few favourite stores and coffee shops that I like to go to and just hang out for hours even though I don't really want anything (especially used clothing stores and this bookstore (it looks like this)).

2 comments:

  1. I visited a bookstore like that a couple of months ago - my friend refer to it as the TARDIS bookstore (tiny storefront, but HUGE inside). It's the sort of place that might be frustrating if you're looking for something very specific, but it's so fun to plop down and start sorting through books to find something interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh yeah. I have spent hours in there before, just sitting on the floor going through stacks of books. It's so peaceful.

    Also, I definitely love the idea of a TARDIS bookstore. :)

    ReplyDelete