Friday, November 11, 2011

Descriptions and Speculations

When I describe myself, I say I'm nerdy, crafty and quiet. If you've caught me when I'm being more blunt, I'd also point out that I'm sometimes socially awkward, easily distracted and a habitual multi-tasker even though I'm awful at it. I try to generally be optimistic, but when it concerns something I really care about I become pessimistic so that I don't get my hopes up. I've been working on trying to be more straight forward rather than a people pleaser, so I try to speak my mind.

Friends have described me as pragmatic, accepting, silly, down to earth, and perpetually unfazed (I was near some friends while writing this, so I asked them for suggestions). I think that since I hang out with people that are similar to me, I sometimes underestimate my level of nerdiness. As I hung out with my sisters last weekend, it was jarring to get laughed at for talking about missing my Dungeons and Dragons group when I move away, and I had the sudden realization that to many people that might seem weird, even though to me it was commonplace.

My sisters have also referred to me as a little rebellious since I have some opinions different from the rest of my family and, with my effort to be more straight forward, have been more open about them in recent years.

The silliness is also a new thing; since I've started spending chunks of my day with kids - and often playing with them and goofing off to get them interested in me - I've gotten much sillier.

Someone who doesn't like me could easily describe me as being stuck up (an unfortunate side effect of being introverted), awkward, weird (due to geekiness), messy, and absent-minded.

No comments:

Post a Comment