Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Yule Balls and Saints

For months now my friends and I have been planning a real Yule Ball, like in the The Goblet of Fire. And for a while it was just a thing, it didn’t really feel like something that was going to happen but now it’s a few weeks away I’m just like, “safhdkvbbvo!!!”

If someone had told me at the start of the year I was even going to be attending a yule ball I probably wouldn’t of believed them. Because mainly I wouldn’t of known any one nerdy enough to of gone with me and there is never anything like it held in the UK. I’m seriously looking forward to it.

I also noticed today when I was out for dinner with my friends that today is Saint Andrew’s Day. It just made me realise how little people actually care about it. It’s probably a bigger deal in schools and maybe if I paid attention to the news and stuff I would of noticed. But I kind of think if Scottish people had the same attitude as Americans, Saint Andrews day would be a much bigger celebration. But then again, I think I’m probably stereotyping.

Is there a patron saint of America or Canada? I know you can get lots of different saints for places but I don’t think I’ve heard of any for America or Canada. Even Glasgow has its own saint, Saint Mungo.

I apologise for that last bit of mindless pondering.

3 comments:

  1. A Yule Ball sounds like so much fun! That's amazing.

    Canada has a bunch of patron saints, actually. Our primary one is Saint Joseph, but then there are also a bunch of secondary ones known as the North American Martyrs, who were Jesuit missionaries that were killed while trying to convert the Huron and Iroquois. The patron saints are really not important here at all. The only reason I even know about them is because my honours thesis was about the Jesuit missions. I know in Newfoundland they get a provincial holiday for Saint George's Day, though, so I guess it's a bit more important there.

    Now I'm curious so I had to check if there were any other patron saints for places I live. For Nova Scotia it's Saint Ninian, who I've never even heard of, and as far as I can tell Halifax doesn't have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's pretty cool, you know a lot more than I do. Isn't Saint George the patron saint of England too?
    And I also think I've heard of Saint Ninian, I'm pretty sure he's a Scottish saint. It sounds really familiar, there must be a St Ninan's church or something near where I stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a ton of fun!

    Also, answering your question about any patron saints in America.
    Because the United States doesn't have any official religion endorsed by the government, the country doesn't have any patron saints. I've heard some people will say it's the Virgin Mary, but it's completely unofficial.

    ReplyDelete