Monday, May 30, 2011

HAGFISH

So we don't have much of a theme this week, I don't know what we're going to do, unless we picked one and I'm an oblivious cloud. I'm due a punishment anyways so I think I'll be doing an essay/report about hagfish.

The first thing to know about the hagfish is that you are spelling it wrong. Word might say it's right, but everywhere else you are wrong, hagfish will get the little red line. It is still spelled hagfish.

Hagfish are blind, eel-like organisms found in many locations. They're also another one of those fish that can change gender every now and then.

The hagfish is a rather odd organism found in our oceans, it looks like an eel but it is not, the hagfish is a fish, just like its name says (although it has also been called a slime eel). Hagfish are most commonly known for they're ability to produce massive amounts slime from their bodies. Producing slime is their own defense mechanism. They will frequently cover themselves in a thick layer of mucus when under stress, to humans it makes them disgusting and sticky, to predatory fish that would attack the hagfish, the slime can deter them by clogging the predator's gills or allowing the hagfish to slip out an on its way.

The way hagfish eat is pretty interesting too. They commonly eat their prey from the inside out. Prey might exactly not be the best word, they're a little like scavengers since the fish they eat tend to already be dead or near death. They go inside the animal and start eating their way out. I don't think I'd want to have a hungry hagfish near me.

So that's the hagfish, a sticky, slimy, eel-like fish that will eat other animals from the inside out. It lives in many parts of the world's oceans and seem not to have a ton of predators because of its defense slime.

It is really late, this was a bit of a rush job, sorry.

Here are the the websites I learned stuff from.

/cough/wikipedia/cough/
http://www.itsnature.org
and
http://www.seasky.org

2 comments:

  1. I remember they had a bit on QI (a British tv quiz show presented by Stephen Fry in case you didn't know) about the hagfish and the showed a video of it producing the slime and it is thee most disgusting thing I have ever seen, even the thought of it is making me squirm right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had to do a report on hagfish when I was in 5th grade. I had a lot of fun scaring my classmates, and then I got squeamish when the presentation for manta rays went up.

    ReplyDelete