Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I would if I could

Something that I absolutely love is long, leisurely meals with a large crowd of people.  The kind of meals where you have a long table full of people who can talk and laugh for hours.  Meals with lots of courses.  It doesn't have to be a fancy meal.  Just slow.  Relaxed.  I love that sort of shared time, just appreciating each other's company without distractions or disturbances, but just being in everyone's company, enjoying the simple sensory pleasures of the meal.  I don't get to do this very often because it's hard to get that many people together and usually the only places you can get multi-course meals are expensive restaurants.

I also enjoy summer Saturdays on my own.  A typical Saturday like this would usually involve going to the farmer's market, wandering around and smelling all the wonderful things and watching all the interesting people, having crêpes for breakfast and buying some fresh produce and flowers.  Then I'd curl up at my favourite coffee shop with a chai latte and my notebook to write for a while, and stop in at the used book store and the thrift store on my way home.  I like having adventures with other people too, of course, but there's just something satisfying about doing things by myself, so that I can go at exactly my own pace and stop to look at all the things I find interesting without feeling like I'm slowing down everyone else.  I don't get to have these sorts of days very often because summer only has so many weekends, and I can't spend all of them on my own.

I also love camping, like really really really love, but sadly I only get to go once or twice a year now that my family doesn't really go any more and my friends are more dispersed and it's just harder to organize.

No comments:

Post a Comment