Monday, May 2, 2011

I Never Thought I'd Say This, but...

I need to stop having a life. Really, life just gets in the way of all my school work. Everything just seems to get crammed into the months before summer. I have a bunch of IA's to do, some world lit papers and an extended essay on top of all my regular school work. (My worries must seem so trivial to all of you in the grown-up world, I feel so little compared to you guys). Now I've got a figure skating show to do and my grades are closing. The figure skating show is taking up a ton of time and leaving no moments for focus on work. I say that I need a life all the time, but the truth is that I need to lose it.

There isn't much that I never thought I'd say, I spend my time thinking of wacky and crazy situations and how to handle them, so a lot of things pop into my head.

But concerning recent events, I never thought I'd say that I'm not exactly rejoicing Osama Bin Laden's death. He's responsible for the 9/11 attack which killed thousands of people, he's also been apart of many other terrorist attacks, so shouldn't I be happy he's dead? My uncle is a survivor from the World Trade Center and I still don't know how he feels about this, I know I have mixed feelings. Part of me feels that Bin Laden deserved this for all the pain and damage he's caused in this world, another part doesn't feel like I have any right to judge anything regarding life and death. Finally, I just can't celebrate the death of another human, no matter how horrible they were, it makes me feel like I'm sinking down a level on the morality meter and killing him doesn't bring back anyone who died, then again it also prevents him from killing more. I feel a bit indifferent, leaning towards the happy/relieved, the world is now a little bit safer. I do view this as a success for the U.S. government, however. We didn't let him truly get away with the things he did, because in the end we found him after years of searching.

It boils down to this, I guess. Bin Laden is gone, the world is one terrorist less, and thus a little bit safer. Yet I realize now this isn't something I'm going to party over.

This is my post, sorry if it wasn't that great, this subject was a little difficult for me. I hope I didn't say anything too controversial, I feel like people expect me to be singing and bouncing off the walls like a lot of other people I've seen, but I'm just not.

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of in the same boat - as soon as it was announced much of my family took to Facebook with things like "Can it be true? OMG, this is AMAZING!" or calling for the next day to be a national holiday. It feels like that's a really hyperbolically joyful reaction to someone dying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to keep my opinions of the Bin Laden situation for my blog but I really liked what you said, especially since this is more personal for you since you have a family member who survived the 9/11 attacks

    ReplyDelete