Tuesday, May 31, 2011

This is what I do

Since we didn't pick a theme for this week and I haven't finished a punishment post yet, I'm just going to tell you gals about how much I love my job right now.

I'm working as a Youth Services Officer at a Service Canada Centre for Youth.  Basically that means that I help youth find jobs and make career decisions and important things like that.

One of my favourite parts of the job is doing presentations.  We go out into the local schools and present to classes about things like making resumes, interview skills, where to look for a job, career options, and workplace health and safety.  It's a lot of fun to interact with the younger students, and it's always nice to get out of the office for a little while.

I also really like how much freedom we have in this job.  There are certain things we have to do, and certain target numbers for presentations and clients and such that we're supposed to try to meet, but it's really up to us how we want to go about doing them.  So when it's nice out we can just decide that we want to go out and spend a few hours putting up flyers to advertise our services, and the other day we spent like three hours making fun posters to put up in the office, and the other day we had a meeting with the mayor just because we decided to call him up and ask if we could talk to him about youth issues in the community.

The most satisfying thing about this job, though, is when we feel as though we've actually really helped someone. After one of our presentations, a girl asked us about applying for Student Loans, because no one else had explained it to her, and it felt like we really helped her figure out what she needed to do.  Another girl asked us to help her find some information about small engine repair because her boyfriend was really good at it but wasn't sure it was a viable career option.  It's nice to feel like we're actually doing something good for the world!

So that's what I'm doing this summer.  It's wonderful and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment